Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Soup's On!


I am soooo excited!! Today I made my first pot of soup!! I have never been much for soup...something about vegetables floating in juice was never that appetizing to me until mom introduced to me wild rice potato soup. As my dad would say "ooooooo weeeee!!! If you put a bowl of that soup on top of your head....your tongue would be slapping your face to get to it!!!" So today I thought I would try my hand at it and all I can say is "oooooo weeeeee!!!" I like to learn to cook it's just soooo hard to cook for one and with a college schedule and budget, it is not that easy to find things to cook! My friend Laini and I have decided to cook together more often in order to cure this problem...thursday night I am introducing her to eggplant!!! I will post about that later this week.
But here is the recipe from www.cooks.com (come on now it can't be that hard...if a college student can do it, then you can do it)

CHEESE & POTATO WILD RICE SOUP

2 c. cooked wild rice
1/2 lb. bacon or ham, cut into pieces
1/4 c. onion, chopped
3 cans cream of potato soup
4 soup cans milk
2 1/2 c. Velveeta cheese, cubed
Fry bacon and onions until bacon is crisp. Drain excess fat. Place soup into a saucepan. Stir in milk, fried bacon and onion, cheese and cooked wild rice. Heat and stir until cheese is melted. If desired, garnish individual servings with a carrot curl. Serves 10 to 12.
**Because I have been dieting, instead of regular bacon, I used turkey bacon. And don't be afraid to overcook the bacon...no one likes chewy bacon in their soup (crunchy is much better). I also left out the onions (yuck!). And instead of 4 soup cans of milk I substituted some of it for low-sodium chicken broth (mom's idea), and I didn't use quite that much cheese just because it can get fattening...but it still tastes great!!
I'm sending some home with my sister today, so we will have to see what mom and dad think for a true opinion on the soup!!!
Bon Appetite!!!

1 comment:

teresa said...

It was delicious. Just wished we had a little more of it! Keep up the good work and go get that vacuum today!